Butz-Choquin Pipes is No More

Lord Guyrox

One of the two major pipe manufacture of Saint-Claude, France, has been officially closed down as of 13 September 2019 by French law (liquidation judiciaire).
Butz-Choquin was experiencing financial difficulties since at least 2017.
I found the info on a French forum but did some research to ensure it was more than a rumor.
I found the confirmation on a website called Société.com.
Curiously, this sad event has not been publicised anywhere, not even in Saint - Claude's local newspaper, called Le Progrès.

blackmouth210

Patron
Wow. I think they've been around since the 1850's or so. What a shame.
Although it's hard to believe considering even the local paper has not even posted the story. Beyond the historical value of the story, a handful of locals are losing their jobs.
These are the types of things a local paper usually leads their front section with.

Lord Guyrox

According to Pipedia, the Comoy family has been making pipes since 1825 from clay, beech wood and boxwood, until briar was discovered as the ideal wood in 1856.
Comoy started manufacturing briar pipes since then.
Henri Comoy emigrated in England in 1879, bringing ouvriers from Saint - Claude along.
Comoy and Chapuis, a family affair, merged into Chacom in 1929.
Technically, the Comoy brand would be the oldest briar manufacturer.
But this seems to be challenged by Peterson which affirms (their website) they are the oldest
briar pipe manufacturer in the world.
But that is another story.

Lord Guyrox

Wow. I think they've been around since the 1850's or so. What a shame.
Although it's hard to believe considering even the local paper has not even posted the story. Beyond the historical value of the story, a handful of locals are losing their jobs.
These are the types of things a local paper usually leads their front section with.
I think Saint-Claude is still, simply put, under shock.

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
According to Pipedia, the Comoy family has been making pipes since 1825 from clay, beech wood and boxwood, until briar was discovered as the ideal wood in 1856.
Comoy started manufacturing briar pipes since then.
Henri Comoy emigrated in England in 1879, bringing ouvriers from Saint - Claude along.
Comoy and Chapuis, a family affair, merged into Chacom in 1929.
Technically, the Comoy brand would be the oldest briar manufacturer.
But this seems to be challenged by Peterson which affirms (their website) they are the oldest
briar pipe manufacturer in the world.
But that is another story.
Technically, Doug was until last year.

(Ducks)